Daily Scriptures for Finding Personal Peace
Samson was betrayed by a beautiful woman. David was hunted by Saul and eventually by his own son. Job lost his family and fortune. All but one of the disciples were martyred.
It’s no secret: God’s people experience pain and hardship.
How can we be at peace when our world is crashing in around us? The Bible offers wisdom that has the power to steady us in any storm. When we hold fast to the truth of God’s promises, external circumstances cannot shake our personal peace.
Peace With God
The first step in experiencing peace with God is knowing where we stand with Him and where we stand in our faith. Did you know that it is impossible to please God without faith (Hebrews 11:6)? Faith in Jesus Christ is the key to being at peace with God.
- And [Jesus] said to her, “Daughter, be of good cheer; your faith has made you well. Go in peace.” Luke 8:48
- Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1
- For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and broken down the middle wall of separation. Ephesians 2:14
- For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross. And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight. Colossians 1:19–22
We have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
After we have established peace with our Father, we will, in turn, experience personal peace. God does not promise freedom from stress—He promises to strengthen us with rejuvenation and refreshment during those difficult times.
Let not your heart be troubled.
God is the source of our peace.
- The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace. Psalm 29:11
- Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
- For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints. 1 Corinthians 14:33
Personal peace is possible for those of us who love and obey the Lord.
- Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble. Psalm 119:165
- When a man’s ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7
- Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:28–30
- But the fruit of the Spirit is… peace. Galatians 5:22
Be anxious for nothing.
Personal peace is possible when we trust that God, in His infinite love and wisdom, always provides for our needs.
- I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
- The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Psalm 23:1–3
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6–7
Personal peace is possible when we trust in God’s ultimate victory over evil.
- But the meek shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. Psalm 37:11
- In His days the righteous shall flourish, and abundance of peace, until the moon is no more. Psalm 72:7
- For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. Isaiah 9:6–7
- The work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever. My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places. Isaiah 32:17–18
- All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
- I will make a covenant of peace with [My people], and cause wild beasts to cease from the land; and they will dwell safely in the wilderness and sleep in the woods. I will make them and the places all around My hill a blessing; and I will cause showers to come down in their season; there shall be showers of blessing. Ezekiel 34:25–26
- Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. Ezekiel 37:26
- Many nations shall come and say, “Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, and we shall walk in His paths.” For out of Zion the law shall go forth, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. He shall judge between many peoples, and rebuke strong nations afar off; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid; for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken. Micah 4:2–4
- These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. John 16:33
Personal peace is our responsibility.
- Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord. Hebrews 12:14
- Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:18
- For “He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.” 1 Peter 3:10–11
- Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless. 2 Peter 3:14
Personal peace is possible when we abandon destructive thoughts and habits and, instead, focus our thoughts on the things of God.
- You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3
- The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9
- Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22
- But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Personal peace is possible when we abandon destructive thoughts and habits.
God’s Word is full of “exceedingly great and precious promises” (2 Peter 1:4), including the promise of peace. Jesus’ death on the cross made it possible for us to be reconciled to God and enjoy His friendship. If we want to experience the peace of God, our part is simple:
- Place our faith in Jesus Christ.
- Recognize God as the source of peace.
- Love and obey Him.
- Trust God’s love, wisdom, and provision.
- Know that, one day, God will expunge evil from the world and reign in righteousness.
- Choose to live at peace with other people.
- Focus our thoughts on the things of God.
I need help
Your response has been received, and we will be praying for you.
Look for answers to some of the most common questions in the weeks ahead.